Newbie art/advice

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Newbie art/advice

Post  acidbomb113 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 am

Supposedly my art doesn't suck, thus I also seek advice and critique; this thread has been very helpful thus far, just by reading it I feel more prepared. Smile

/needs a scanner
*sadface*

acidbomb113
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 2137
Friendship Lessons : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:44 am

Oh word of warning, get artistic sealant spray stuff before trying to scan anything with charcoal. And beware the fumes they are not pleasant! Use extreme ventilation when performing sealant on large pieces of charcoal.

Nighzmarquls
Oppressed Proletarian Earth Pony

Pony Pals : 1957
Friendship Lessons : -8

View user profile http://nighzmarquls.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  acidbomb113 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 am

/doesn't have charcoal yet
/still lvl1
X)

acidbomb113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:47 am

Ugh, charcoal.

They have charcoal pencils though which are pretty neat. Your hands will still get filthy but less so!

Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 3511
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
6/9  (6/9)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 am

Kaijyuu wrote:Ugh, charcoal.

They have charcoal pencils though which are pretty neat. Your hands will still get filthy but less so!

Soft charcoal is best, but in all honesty I avoid the stuff after I finished my 200-400 sum hours of life drawing classes... I don't really miss it at all but I have to say I probably learned more in that time that I'm still realizing then at any other time.

Nighzmarquls

Back to top Go down

Post  acidbomb113 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh wait, I have a Droid.
Oh wait, I have a 4shared.
Oh wait, I also have an AppleBloom.
Whatcha think?:

acidbomb113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:06 pm

acidbomb113 wrote:Oh wait, I have a Droid.
Oh wait, I have a 4shared.
Oh wait, I also have an AppleBloom.
Whatcha think?:

Its... Nice

Really... Although there are a few pointers I could probably give if you feel your ego is up to it...

Nighzmarquls

Back to top Go down

Post  acidbomb113 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am

Shoot.
I am well aware of the sheer magnitude of my sucking; though supposedly t'isn't as bad off as most ~ thus I attempt.
Keyword there.

acidbomb113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:17 am

Okay, lets see, the posture/anatomy looks all out of wack, the positioning of the eyes seem confused and you've gone and derpy'd her eyes and I get the over all impression that your pencil gets a bit away from you and sort of wanders into making things your not quite intending.

But you did a good job on the bow (that bit used to bother me for ages) and your lines are pretty clean, I think you could definitely improve a lot of these things by doing studies of Pony Anatomy (grab a toy and try and do outline sketches from lots of angles).

also try out this exercise to improve your over all control of the pencil:

Draw a random number of circles on a page, any size is fine but bigger will probably be better. Now as fast as you can draw more circles in the gaps between those circles getting as close as possible to the edges. Continue this until you cannot draw smaller circles.

Don't draw a circle inside of any of the other ones and don't cross the lines

Nighzmarquls

Back to top Go down

Post  acidbomb113 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 am

1 - That exercise sounds downright devious ~ art thou trollin'? (don't worry I trust you :3)
2 - That's what I said X[ eyes eyes eyes AACK. needed to be bigger, I think - would've gotten more space as to avoid said derpy-ing.
2.1 - I need a finer pencil... not that that's your problem ~ just me b*tching...
3 - Posture? I didn't think it was that bad, do want my reference? Sad What in particular was very bad/good?
3.1 - Any particular methods [other than the toy one; out of the question at the moment] to pick up pony-anatomy? Specific references you recommend?

4 - Thank you for your critique Smile

Last edited by acidbomb113 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

acidbomb113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirbypowered on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 am

Although you might not get the specific details you want, I always find starting up an episode and looking for a good reference shot helpful. It's guaranteed to be accurate at the very least. Very Happy

And Nighzmarquls, I've been trying some reference from a toy, but sheesh, I can't get myself to draw such an inaccurate thing. Twilight's eyes are the wrong shape, the mouths look downright weird, the legs are too short, and there's a mass of other proportioning issues. I suppose at the very least they're convenient for understanding different perspectives. Other than that, I thank you for the advice. If it weren't for school I'm sure I'd have actually gotten better at this.

Kirbypowered
Pony
Pony

Pony Pals : 2013
Friendship Lessons : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 am

Kirbypowered wrote:Although you might not get the specific details you want, I always find starting up an episode and looking for a good reference shot helpful. It's guaranteed to be accurate at the very least. Very Happy

And Nighzmarquls, I've been trying some reference from a toy, but sheesh, I can't get myself to draw such an inaccurate thing. Twilight's eyes are the wrong shape, the mouths look downright weird, the legs are too short, and there's a mass of other proportioning issues. I suppose at the very least they're convenient for understanding different perspectives. Other than that, I thank you for the advice. If it weren't for school I'm sure I'd have actually gotten better at this.

Hmmm, try G3 or earlier references? I figured it would be easier to use the toys as photo-reference for shading/perspective then trying to teach you how to re-extrapolate the character design from baseline animals.

Maybe use those as perspective, then try breaking them down into component shapes and extending the details out a little in different directions. If your really into it get some books on horse anatomy and try sculpting your own versions for angle reference (this is what disney used for decades and pixar still uses for initial concept development).

I keep suggesting physical real things because it is going to teach you more about drawing/how things look then simply copying the 'pre-baked' design and anatomical decisions right out of the show whole-sale

It lets you get your mind wrapped around the REASONS the characters are designed the way they are rather then just 'duplicate what I saw cuz that is canon'.

Nighzmarquls

Back to top Go down

Post  Nighzmarquls on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 am

acidbomb113 wrote:1 - That exercise sounds downright devious ~ art thou trollin'? (don't worry I trust you :3)
Actually I felt the same way when my instructor dropped this one on me after a year of college,

but its a REALLY REALLY a great way to warm up for drawing and get used to how to use your hand to express an idea/line
The other exercise that goes along with it is draw nothing but straight lines down the page... as close to each other as you possibly can.

2 - That's what I said X[ eyes eyes eyes AACK. needed to be bigger, I think - would've gotten more space as to avoid said derpy-ing.
2.1 - I need a finer pencil... not that that's your problem ~ just me b*tching...

Grab a quick reference for drawing faces the world has been trying to solve this one for MILLENIA, there is a lot of good thought put into it by those that are greater masters then I.

3 - Posture? I didn't think it was that bad, do want my reference? Sad What in particular was very bad/good?

The head is so BIG, the body so Tiny and the whole thing looks kinda stretched out and rigid... your reference might be exactly the same but a trick with animation is that they will often exaggerate frames well beyond reality in order to make motion 'read' better.

3.1 - Any particular methods [other than the toy one; out of the question at the moment] to pick up pony-anatomy? Specific references you recommend?

Try building a little pony figure with pipe cleaners and cotton balls (helps if the cotton balls are at either the joints or end points of limbs/bodyparts) work at it till you have something with correct proportion then try to draw from that.

This will give you the added bonus of REALLY thinking in a physical/tactile way how big a given pony's head/limbs are.

4 - Thank you for your critique Smile

Oh well... your welcome, it was nothing.

Nighzmarquls

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirbypowered on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 am

Nighzmarquls wrote:It lets you get your mind wrapped around the REASONS the characters are designed the way they are rather then just 'duplicate what I saw cuz that is canon'.
But they do it so good. =P

I know what you mean though, I think. (maybe I don't) I suppose, really, that I should use the physical toys to get the body shape (and shading), right? That much is possible. And by the component shapes, I assume you mean shapes like the head, body, and legs. In that sense, the toys are right, they just squished everything too short for my liking. In any case, I think I mostly overreacted. As long as I can ignore the mouth and eyes, using the toys should be fine.

Also, as much as I want to be able to draw FiM ponies all the time, I also would like to use this as a base from which I could expand from. I assume actually understanding why the things are the way they are will help with this.

Kirbypowered
Pony
Pony

Pony Pals : 2013
Friendship Lessons : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2