Other TV shows

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Other TV shows

Post  Kaijyuu on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 am

Certainly more things have appeared on television than ponies that has caught your interest.

-------

Recently I finished watching the entirety of Batman Beyond. It's pretty damn good for a show that was supposed to be "teenage batman." I just might like it more than the main batman animated series. Good action, good comedy, good anti villains, and handles the "batman in the future" concept extremely well. Also comes with a pretty good movie in addition to its three seasons. The strength of the show is in the writing, and how they work around (and oft embrace) the silliness inherent to the Batman universe.

Have a clever moment from the show.

Not perfect, but nothing is. The "future slang" might get on your nerves (cool = "schway," "slag" is a generic swear, etc), the super power origins are all silly (lightning, radiation, and/or genetic mutation can do anything), and EVERYTHING blows up in balls of fire. Also the main character is... adequate. He's not bad or annoying, but he's not really interesting either. He just works. The anti-villains are far more interesting. Finally, the very last episode (aired in another show due to this one being canceled) has perhaps the most horribly unnecessary retcon ever that causes more plot holes and fridge logic than it solves.

Still very good, though. Not ponies level of awesome but not far behind.
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 3725
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
6/9  (6/9)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Other TV shows

Post  Necro910 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 am

I don't watch too much TV. Hell, I started watching MLP about a months after becoming a brony, and not before.

Deadliest Warrior is an awesome show, but it is too biased. The "SWAT vs. German International Counter-Terrorist" one made me lose my shit in particular. The "Mongol vs. Injun" one is pretty bad too.

A couple other generic "Guns and Army" shows on Discovery/Military/History channel are good too.
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Pals : 8502
Friendship Lessons : 11

Pony Profile
Name: Necro
Spells:
Experience:
9/0  (9/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob/Lee on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:09 am

Deadliest Warrior has some pretty laughable "research" on the weapons. Like Necro said, the SWAT vs. GSG 9 episode is pretty ridiculous. Before I was ~*~enlightened~*~ by some random people raging on youtube, I think the only weapon test that stuck out was the sniper rifle one. If I watched that episode again I could point out some others.
Jacob/Lee
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 2609
Friendship Lessons : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:52 am

Jacob/Lee wrote:Deadliest Warrior has some pretty laughable "research" on the weapons. Like Necro said, the SWAT vs. GSG 9 episode is pretty ridiculous. Before I was ~*~enlightened~*~ by some random people raging on youtube, I think the only weapon test that stuck out was the sniper rifle one. If I watched that episode again I could point out some others.
Yeah. The sniper one was the most memorable. There was a few others, but it was bad.

The Mongol vs. Apache or whatever tribe was pretty bad too. Highly trained horseman with superior weapons, armor, and actual generals? NOPE!
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
9/0  (9/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacob/Lee on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:09 am

Deadliest Warrior: what would happen when you gave monkeys a history textbook and some fancy calculators and told them to make a show. Razz
Jacob/Lee

Pony Pals : 2609
Friendship Lessons : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 am

Mythbusters, now, there's a good show. They actually know what they're doing. I used to watch it all the time back when I actually watched TV.

Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 4220
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
69/99  (69/99)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 am

Slag wrote:Mythbusters, now, there's a good show. They actually know what they're doing. I used to watch it all the time back when I actually watched TV.
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
9/0  (9/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down